Don’t make it a habit to continue ignoring problems that you may experience with your garage door. This could cost you more than just money. When you have garage door problems, you are risking your life and that of anyone inside your car. You also risk your car being damaged by a fallen garage door. Now we realize that this may sound a little drastic, however, these are things that we see very often. This is why we encourage you to contact us at the first sign of trouble at North Glenn Garage Door Repair. However, even if you don’t call us, you should still pay close attention to how your garage door is performing so that you can address the problem on your own if it isn’t too dangerous to do. There are some things that are best handled by a qualified and trained professional. No matter how small the problem may appear to be, we assure you that the problem will get worse if you do not address it as quickly as possible.
If you have recently had a garage door installed, you should know that there may be something that was not properly installed and this could be the cause of your problem. Don’t ignore it, whatever you do. If you want to go on using your garage door like usual, you will have to address your issue. The problems that most people experience with their garage door are usually pretty common. They are things that you may be doing to contribute to the problem and may be fairly simple resolutions. Usually, this is the case with most common garage door problems. There is no question that we would love to gain your business but if there is something that you can handle on your own, we encourage you to do so. We’ll always be here when you need us. However, in the meantime, let us tell you about some of the most common garage door problems and how you can troubleshoot and resolve them (wherever possible).
- Noises When Using Your Garage – If you begin to hear something unfamiliar when you start to open or close your garage door, you can be should definitely pay closer attention to the condition of your garage door. Noises that you hear are an indication that something is wrong. In most cases, there are parts that need to be lubricated or that are loose. Any loose parts should be tightened up. You can also lubricate the moving parts of your garage. If the problem is resolved, call on our technicians and we’ll be able to identify the problem for you in no time.
- Door Reverses – Hit the limit switch. If you have this feature, it will be on the back of the garage door opener and will read up or down. You may need to consult the manual to determine how to reset the switch. If this doesn’t stop the door from continuing to reverse, you may also be able to use the close force feature. By turning the knob clockwise, you will be able to make the necessary adjustments.
- Motor Keeps Running – If your door is opening and closing like it should yet the motor continues running, this could mean that your limit switch needs adjusting. You might begin to do this a little at a time and then checking to see if this turns the motor off. If it doesn’t, you’ll need to contact a service professional to evaluate the problem and stop the motor from continuing to run.
- Don’t Won’t Close Completely – If something is blocking your garage door’s safety sensors this will prevent the door from completely closing. The sensors are meant to protect you from your door coming down on top of something or someone. You’ll have to make sure that there is nothing blocking the sensors. Dirt can also build up on the lenses. Take a soft cloth and a non-abrasive cleaner and gently clean the lenses. If you rub it too hard, you could scratch and damage the lenses. If the sensors are not aligned, this will also cause the door to stop before going any further. If you gently tap the lenses, often times you can bring them back into alignment. As long as the lights on both of them are lit, you should be good to go.
- Garage Door is Stuck – If your garage door is stuck either open or closed, don’t panic since it can be operated manually. There is an emergency release cord attached to your garage door opener. Once you pull on this string, your door will disengage and you will be able to manually open or close the door.
If your door continues to stick, you might need to reboot the garage door opener. There is also an indicator light on your opener that alerts you to where your problem is. It might just be something as easy as changing the batteries in your transmitters or a tripped breaker. If you have been experiencing electrical issues, this is the first place we would suggest you check.
You could have worn springs. When the springs are worn, they will not be strong enough to lift your heavy door. Allow a qualified and trained expert garage door service technician to evaluate the problem for you. They know how dangerous working on garage door springs can be and in order to avoid a mishap, it is a good idea to allow them to handle the job of repairing or replacing your garage door springs.
At the end of it all, we would say, yes, go ahead and probe to see where the problem is. If the issue cannot be easily resolved, don’t hesitate to contact the services of a garage door repair service, such as North Glenn Garage Door Repair. We always tell our customers that it is best that they veer on the side of caution by contacting us to troubleshoot and fix the problem.